Last modified 18.11.2015
predict.io (the “Service”) is designed to help you find a parking spot and your vehicle’s parking position (car, bicycle, etc.). To do so predict.io employs industry standard sensor technology (e.g. GPS, cell tower connections, accelerometer, gyroscope, WiFi, barometer, Bluetooth, proximity sensor) to determine your parking position so that the information is recorded on your device for later retrieval. predict.io is operated by predict.io GmbH, Bergstr. 22, 10115 Berlin, Germany which is the controller of your personal data.
Personal data collected by our Service
When you use the Service, certain Service functions or directly contact us, we may collect your personal data from you, including:
- device information (actual device type, unique IDs (IDFA, GAID, UDID, operating system; battery consumption statistics);
- your location (latitude & longitude of parking position, real-time position on handshake (incl. speed, direction and elevation));
- phone sensor data (acceleration, rotating motion, air pressure, proximity and compass data);
- current device connections (Bluetooth, WiFi, charger)
- Service specifics (application ID, version number, anonymous click statistics, parking occupancy for community sharing);
- contact information, such as name, email address, postal address, phone number, and mobile number;
- your browser type and operating system;
- for battery consumption optimization we collect the following statistics in intervals; current battery charge, measure interval length, last recharge point, predict.io processes running during interval, battery capacity, battery technology and battery health as reported by the operating system;
- the web pages you were visiting immediately before and after you came to the Service;
- web pages and advertisements that you view, and links that you click on, within the Service;
- standard server log personal data; and
- correspondence you send to us;
- personal data collected through HTML cookies, Flash cookies, web beacons, and similar technologies.
Personal data we collect from other sources
We may access personal data about you from third-party sources and platforms (such as social networking services, databases, online marketing firms, and ad targeting firms), including:
- if you access third-party social networking services (such as Facebook Connect or Twitter) through the Service, your username and connection lists for those services, statistics of comments, your comments, data from your social networking profile such as your friend list;
- demographic data, such as age range, gender, and interests;
- advertisement interaction and viewing data, such as ad click-through rates and personal data about how many times you viewed a particular ad;
- to improve the service we installed a Training Module in the App. This Training Module will temporarily use data from certain sensors of the smartphone (including WiFi, Bluetooth, barometer, GPS, accelerometer, gyroscope, activity recognition, cell tower identifier) as well as information (on/off) on the screen, phone call, headphone, docking and power (battery charger) modus of the smartphone to improve accuracy. Use of the Training Module is subject to a dedicated user opt-in.
How we process and use the personal data that we collect
With your consent, we may use the personal data that we collect to send you e-mail communications, such as editorial updates, personal data about your account or changes to the Service. If you signed up for one of our email newsletters, we also will send you the newsletter that you requested.
With your consent, we may use your mobile phone number to send you notifications or other services. All standard interaction will happen within the app.
We may use the personal data that we collect to fulfill your requests for products, services, and personal data. For example, we may use your contact personal data to respond to your customer service requests or to enable you to participate in features on the Service such as “handshake” or “auto-detect” (see below).
The Service can automatically predict and detect that you have just left a parking spot, going to leave it, arrived or look for one. It will report these occurrences to the Service. For this purpose the following personal data about you are collected and processed; personal login, device information, location, service specifics and your community profile (see above for details). In order to detect what kind of transport you are using and thereby detecting if the parking spot will be really left and to improve our results, we collect and process sensor data (as listed in section 1). For instance no parking spot would open up if you leave by bus or tram. No such personal data of you will be visible to any other user. Other users will just see an anonymous marker on the map with a timer when it vacated or will vacate. We may display anonymous information about the size of the parking spot based on your car make/model information. If enabled in settings, the Service will also ask you to confirm that you vacated a public parking spot. On confirmation the above mentioned map marker will change color/icon but no additional personal information are being displayed.
The data that has been generated with the Training Module (see 1.) will be used to improve the precision of the algorithm (machine learning) that is used for the vehicle detection, i.e. what vehicle the user is using at a given point of time. While the Training Module is active summary statistics of the sensors (like average or minimum and maximum) are being send to the server backend for analysis. The result of the analysis is send back to the smartphone and can be displayed to you for verification. Furthermore, additional debug information can be sent to the backend if needed to understand the decision making process (e.g. trip cancelation due to distance). This helps the algorithm to learn.
Personal data sharing
We value your privacy, and share personal data about our users only under certain circumstances. We will make personal data about you available to other companies, applications, or people in the circumstances listed below:
- We may share aggregated personal data or personal data that does not directly identify you with third parties to help us develop content, services, and advertising that we hope you will find of interest. Please note that we do not share personal contact information with third parties that advertise on the Service.
- We may employ third parties to perform Service-related services, including database management, maintenance services, analytics, marketing, data processing, and email and text message distribution. These third parties have access to your personal data only to perform these tasks on our behalf and subject to the required contracts on data processing.
- If you choose to engage in public activities on the Service, such as handshake or posting comments on community message boards, any personal data you submit can be read, collected, or used by others. Please exercise caution when deciding to disclose any personal data in public activities or submissions.
- We may share personal data about you to investigate, prevent, or take action regarding illegal activities, suspected fraud, situations involving potential threats to the physical safety or other rights and interests of any person, or if required by law, and in other circumstances in which we have a good faith belief that sharing is necessary. We want the Service to be a safe and friendly community.
- We may share personal data about you to respond to law enforcement authorities.
- In addition to the scenarios identified above, we may share personal data about you for any other purposes disclosed to you at the time we collect your personal data or pursuant to your consent.
Cookies and other technologies
Some personal data is collected about you automatically through cookies and other technologies.
Cookies are small amounts of information stored in files within your computer’s browser. Web sites can access only the cookies that they have stored on your computer.
- To help us recognize your browser as a previous visitor and save and remember any preferences that may have been set while your browser was using the Service. For example, we may save your login information so you don’t have to sign in every time you use the Service;
- To help us customize the content and advertisements you see when you use the Service; and
- To help measure and research the effectiveness of our interactive online content, features, advertisements, and other communications.
We may use web beacons (also called transparent GIFs, web bugs, pixels, or action tags). These technologies are strings of code that deliver a tiny graphic image on a web page or in an email. Web beacons can recognize certain types of information on your computer such as cookies, the time and date a page is viewed, and a description of the page on which the web beacon is placed. In general, any file served as part of a web page can act as a web beacon.
We use web beacons for various tracking purposes, like determining whether or not you are logged into the Service and whether or not you are connected to a third-party service.
Third parties also may use web beacons to receive auditing, research, and reporting information, or to understand your interests and select and deliver to you advertisements that are tailored to your interests.
In order to learn more about how our Service is used, we aggregate and analyze the data that we collect. We may use this personal data, for example, to monitor and analyze use of the Service, to increase our Service’s functionality, and to better tailor our content and design to suit our visitors’ needs.
You can change your browser settings to reject all cookies, accept only certain cookies, or notify you when a cookie is set. Please note that you may need to renew these settings, if you delete your cookies after these preferences are made. These settings also may not apply, if you are using a different computer or Internet browser.
If you opt out of these technologies, you will continue to see advertising displayed on the Service, but the advertising may not be targeted to your interests.
Your rights and choices
In accordance with the law, you may at any time request to access, rectify, complete, update, block or delete your personal data, by contacting us at email@example.com
You can logout of your account at any time by visiting the user settings page within the app.
Confidentiality and security
We limit access to contact personal data about you to employees or service providers who we believe reasonably need to come into contact with that personal data to provide products or services to you or in order to do their jobs. All our employees engaged in processing personal data have been obligated to maintain confidentiality. We also have adopted technical, physical, and administrative procedures that are adequate to help protect personal data about you from loss, misuse, and alteration.
Please note that no data transmission or storage can be guaranteed to be 100% secure. We want you to feel confident using the Service, but we cannot warrant the security of any personal data you transmit to us. Even the largest enterprises of the world have been experiencing data vulnerabilities. We are committed to keep your information safe at all times.
Transfer of personal data outside of the EU
predict.io is a global service. For providing the Service (such as the “handshake”) we need to transfer positioning data extremely fast between mobile devices. The server infrastructure providing such high availability and low latency may be distributed across multiple content delivery networks. Thus parts of the servers that you connect to for use of the Service may be outside of the country of your residence. This specifically includes servers outside of the EU. We work with the world’s largest computing infrastructure providers that follow highest physical, logical and technological security standards and have the required contracts in place that ensure an adequate level of data protection.
Questions and suggestions